Power it ALL!! The Q1212 has Enough Horsepower to Challenge the Legendary P3000!
Connect this Bad Boy to any of Electro Voice’s Phoenix, Tour X, and ZX3/ZX5 systems or system combinations and deliver Ear Bleeding Audio to the Masses! The Q Series utilizes an efficient Class-H amplifier design where the permanent voltage rail is designed to cover the average music signal, rather than continuing to supply the voltage for max output. When dynamic peaks need a higher output voltage the voltage rail switches over to maximum saving up to 50% of the power consumption and reducing heat output.
Q Series combines the sonic excellence and ruggedness of its Precision Series predecessors with Class-H innovation, all in a compact and affordable package.
Electro Voice Q1212 Features
- Clearly One of the Most Powerful Amp Designs in a 2U Chassis
- 2x1200 Watts @ 4 Ohms (2x1800 Watts @ 2 Ohms)
- Class-H, Power Saving design
- Dynamic Headroom and Transient Response
- Protection Package and Dynamic Limiter
- Parallel loop thru XLR output to add additional power amps
- Speakon A/B Outputs
While many people understand there are tremendous differences between professional loudspeakers, many also tend to think that amplifiers are only differentiated by the amount of output power they provide. Electro-Voice amplifiers serve to prove that there are also audible differences...
Q-Series Amplifiers and Connectivity
Whatever application you choose, you can be sure your Q Series amp is prepared:
- Both inputs have a paralleled loop thru XLR output to route signal to other amp inputs
- Besides the usual channel A/B outputs via Speakon connectors (on pin 1+/1-), output A carries the signal of channel B as well (on pin 2+ / 2-), providing an easy drive option for biamped speakers
- Parallel & Bridge Mode option switches provide additional functionality with minimized cabling requirements
- An additional switchable LPN (Low-Pass Notch) filter provides extra tonal fundament and kick, with protective Low-
- Cut for using smaller passive 12 or 15 inch cabinets without additional subwoofers
- Unclipped Signal Clipped Signal Dynamic Limiter Signal
Amplifier power and distortion figures are typically specified with sine wave signals. However, music signals are far more dynamic than sine waves, comprising a pulsed wideband spectrum.
EV believes that, above all figures, the tonal performance of live music counts most; therefore, all of their amplifiers are designed for dynamic headroom. This means that each and every EV amp has at least 30% more output capability for short-term signals, when compared to a long-term sine wave value. This additional headroom results in an amp that will, for example, allow for short term signal peaks of at least 780W when spec´d at 600W.
While dynamic headroom is audible when playing music through a sound system, another specification to observe is the increase in output power from an 8 Ohm load to 4 Ohms, and then down to 2 Ohms. Of course, all Electro-Voice amplifiers are designed to be absolutely stable into loads of 2 Ohms.
When processing dynamic signals, other important criteria are signal speed and dynamic distortion. For example, kick drum signals carry pulses of many frequencies as an overlay spectrum. Therefore, and in contrast to many other manufacturers, EV specifies a lot more information on their amplifiers’ dynamic behavior than just slew rate
figures. Important tests referring to the amp´s ability regarding multitone signal pulses are expressed by IMD-SMPTE measurements at high power levels. And, while IMD tests show the Intermodulation Distortion behavior (how much sound
is added by the amplifier), DIM30 is the real spec for speed in an amplifier. All these tests are carried out in EV labs during an amplifier’s design phase, to ensure maximum sonic performance. While these technical explanations appear very complex, they are clearly audible. Take a Q-Series amplifier and crank it up, you’ll hear the difference immediately!
Protection Package and Dynamic Limiter
There are many good-sounding amplifiers available; however, for an amp to be considered the world’s best requires unparalleled reliability in real-world applications.
Q Series amplifiers benefit from decades of professional amplifier design, and all the expertise that has made EV amps the concert/touring standard is built into Q Series. Our complete protection package includes sophisticated circuits against overheating, short circuit, DC output voltage, HF oscillation, back EMF (Electromotive Force), and destructive peak current.
Furthermore, Q Series amps also protect your valuable loudspeakers with built-in dynamic limiters, preventing dangerous output clipping. The limiters immediately reduce amp gain when dynamic headroom is pushed to the limits at maximum output, keeping distortion below 1% in a situation that can otherwise cause a signal to clip, which is often fatal for woofers and drivers.
Electro Voice Q1212 Power Amplifier Specifications
- Maximum Midband Output Power: THD = 1%, 1 kHz, Dual Channel
- 1800 Watts @ 2 Ohms
- 1200 Watts @ 4 Ohms
- 750 Watts @ 8 Ohms
- Rated Output Power: THD < 0.1%, 20 Hz-20 kHz
- 1100 Watts @ 4 Ohms
- 550 Watts @ 8 Ohms
- Maximum Single Channel Output Power: Dynamic-Headroom, IHF-A
- 3400 Watts @ 2 Ohms
- 1800 Watts @ 4 Ohms
- 950 Watts @ 8 Ohms
- Maximum Single Channel Output Power: Continuous, 1 kHz
- 2400 Watts @ 2 Ohms
- 1500 Watts @ 4 Ohms
- 850 Watts @ 8 Ohms
- Maximum Bridged Output Power: THD = 1%, 1 kHz
- 3600 Watts @ 4 Ohms
- 2400 Watts @ 8 Ohms
- Maximum RMS Voltage Swing: THD = 1%, 1 kHz
- Power Bandwidth: THD = 1%, ref. 1 kHz, half power @ 4 Ohms
- Voltage Gain: ref. 1 kHz
- Input Sensitivity: rated power @ 8 Ohms, 1 kHz
- THD: at rated output power MBW = 80 kHz, 1 kHz
- IMD-SMPTE 60 Hz, 7 kHz: < 0.1%
- DIM30, 3.15 kHz, 15 kHz: < 0.05%
- Maximum Input Level: +21 dBu (8.69 Vrms)
- Crosstalk: ref. 1 kHz, at rated output power
- Frequency Response: ref. 1 kHz
- Input Impedance: active balanced
- Damping Factor, 1 kHz: > 303
- Slew Rate: 30 V/µs
- Signal to Noise Ratio: Amplifier, A-weighted
- Output Noise: A-weighted
- Output Stage Topology: Class H
- Power Consumption: 1/8 maximum output power @ 4 Ohms
- Power Requirements: (factory configured)
- 244 V or 230 V
- 120 V or 100 V
- 50 Hz-60 Hz
- Audio limiters
- High temperature
- DC, HF, Back-EMF
- Peak current limiters
- Inrush current limiters
- Turn-on delay
- Cooling: Front-to-rear, 3-stage-fans
- Ambient Temperature Limits: 5-40 °C (40-105 °F)
- Signal Processing: LPN, switchable
- Safety Class: I
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 19 x 3.5 x 16.6 inches (483 x 88.1 x 421.5 mm)
- Weight: 39 lbs (17.7 kg)